As it’s school holidays here and i’ve had a tiny bit of time to do some DIY projects. I want to show you how easy and inexpensive it can be!
I have been meaning to re-cover these chairs for years but have never found time or the right fabric. I noticed a few people online using Kmart table cloths to recover bedheads, make chair covers, and thought that would be perfect for this project, the fabric is already great at resisting spills but without feeling plastic!
The Kmart tablecloth was $12, it covered 6 chair bases and i have plenty of leftovers for a table runner!
For this project i used:
Paper and Pen for pattern making
Paper Scissors and fabric scissors (keep them separate!)
Staple gun and staples
First i took the base off the chairs, This is also a good time to tighten all the screws on the chairs as they loosen over the years with use.
The chairs were covered in microsuede. I don’t know a single person who can keep that fabric clean with kids!
The base was used as a template for my pattern. I added about 2″ around it.
I cut 6 fabric pieces from the tablecloth using my paper pattern.
The previous fabric was not stapled on to the chairs excessively so i decided to keep the old fabric on and just put the new fabric over it. this project will take significantly more time if you have to pull out all the old staples!
Start at the straight edge and staple a few times. Then pull the fabric taut and staple at the opposite side, do the sides the same way.
Staple the fabric ensuring its pulled snug but not too tight, turn over and check if you need.
Once i put the base back on the chair i was so impressed! It took me about an hour to do all 6 chairs and it feels like a new setting!
This is a fantastic afternoon project, i did it while my boys had a nap!
If you like this project, check out my tutorials!